Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Cusop include:
Brick maker: William Morris
Innkeeper: George Watkins [Sun], Isabella Thirza Jones [Nelson Inn]
Mason: George Watkins
Quarryman: James Price
Rector: Reverend David Christmas Moore [since 1901]
Schoolmaster: Thomas John White
Wool Stapler: Arthur Jones
Residents and farm property named include:
Pen yr hen llan
Llydy ady way
Thomas & David
Rev. George Dermer
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Cusop is given below.
Local farmers and private residents are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. The architecture of the church is described as Norman style; it was built by the monks of Llanthony and restored in 1857. The foundations of Cusop castle still remain. Francis Trumper is Lord of the Manor. There is a public elementary school built in 1875, enlarged in 1898, for 90 children; average attendance 40.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.