Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories H/914.244


Original document


Transcription of Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire & Shropshire

Place name:





CRASWALL, or Crasswall, is a township and small village, having its own parish officers and maintaining its own poor; it forms an ecclesiastical parish within the civil parish of Clodock, and is near the source of the river Monnow, at the foot of the Hatterell Hills, on the borders of Brecknockshire, 6 miles south-east from Hay station on the Hereford, Hay and Brecon section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, and 16 west-by-south from Hereford, in the Hereford division of the county, Ewyas Lacy hundred, Dore and Bredwardine rural district, Dore petty sessional division, Hay county court district, rural deanery of Abbey Dore and archdeaconry and diocese of Hereford. The chapel of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a small wooden belfry at the west end containing one bell: it was restored in 1883. On the north side is a disused cockpit, in which, in the early part of the last century cockfights were held on Sundays after service: there are 56 sittings. The register, forming part of that of Clodock, dates from the year 1703. The living is a vicarage, united with that of Llanveynoe, joint net yearly value £345, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Clodock, and held since 1928 by the Rev. Percy Loadman, of St. Aidan's, who resides at Llanveynoe. There is a Methodist chapel here, built in 1858, seating 80, and also one at Cwm, built in 1828, seating 140. The Hatterell Hills, or Black Mountains, are in this township. R. R. W. R. Trafford esq. who is lord of the manor, and the farmers are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy loam; the sub-soil is sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and swedes. The area is 5,172 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1931 was 185 in the civil and of the ecclesiastical parish, 353.

Post  Office. Letters  through Abergavenny (Mon)




Watkins Mrs. The Villa

Wright Mrs. School house



Farr Arth. farmer, Cwm farm

Gane David, farmer, Cwm mill

Gane Eliz. (Mrs.), frmr. Craswall crt

Gane Ernest, farmer, The Oaks

Gane Jas. Old Public

Gane Mary Ann (Mrs.), smallholder, Rose cottage

Gane Wilfred Jas. farmer, The Road

Gane George. farmer, College farm

Gane Wm. David, farmer, Pentwyn

Godwin Wilfred White Hay wood

Gwilliam   Thos.   Wm.   farmer,   Llanover

Howells Enoch Wm. farmer, The Town

Hughes Charles, farmer, The Rock

Jenkins John E. frmr.  Dukes farm

Jenkins Morgan, farmer, Middle Black Hill

Jones Elijah, farmer, Forest mill

Jones Ernest smallholder Little Black Hill

Jones John, farmer, Upper house

Jones Jn. Edwd. farmer, New Forest

Jones Rd. farmer, Lower Crossway

Lewis William & James, farmers, The Birches

Maddy Arth. farmer, Old house

Phillips Eliz (Mrs). farmer, The Barn

Powell Edwin, frmr. Lower Black Hill

Price Albt. farmer, Gworlodevain

Price James farmer, Abbey farm

Probert Tom, farmer, Upper Cwm

Prosser Abimelech, farmer, Abraham Reeds

Prothero David, farmer, Chapel house

Russell Jas. farmer, Cwm steps

Sanders Jsph. farmer, Lower house

Saunders Raymond, farmer, Llandraw

Smith Alfd. Farmer, Little Black Hill

Smith Arthur, farmer, The Coed

Smith Sarah Jane (Mrs) Shopkeeper

Smith Thos. farmer, Wern Wen

Watkins Arth. farmer, Tyboobach

Watkins Clara (Mrs), farmer, The Villa

Watkins Geo. smallholder. The New house

Watkins Harry, farmer, Black hill

Watkins John, farmer, Goodes

Watkins James, farmer, Old mill

Watkins  Olive   (Mrs.),   farmer, The Shawls

Watkins Wm. beer retailer [Innkeeper]. Bulls' Head

Weale   Wm. Warren, [Innkeeper] Three Horse Shoes P.H

Yeomans Elwyn Ernest, farmer, Upper house

Yeomans Peter, farmer, Ruinsford




This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0116