Herefordshire Record Office
J91/1, pages 412-414
Manorial Records, Court Rolls, Grant of a Lease to Hugh Phillips
At a Special Customary Court of the Manor of Ewyas Lacy held at the Castle of Longtown on the 30th April 1831 before John Gabb, Deputy Steward of the Manor of Ewyas Lacy held by The Right Honorable Henry Earl of Abergavenny.
It recounts that a copyhold lease on a holding in Craswall was granted on 20th November 1818 to William Watkins for three lives, those of John Phillips son of Hugh Phillips, James Philips another son of Hugh Phillips and Peter Watkins son of William Watkins. Hugh Phillips, a yeoman of Craswall had surrendered the previous lease; he owed William Watkins £60 plus interest, monies borrowed to secure the original lease.
The holding comprised a Dwelling House, Barn, Stable, Garden and several closes of arable, meadow, pasture and woodland comprising 23a-3r-1p (8 acres customary Welsh measure) in the township of Craswall.
William Watkins died September 1823. John Watkins was his eldest son and heir.
Payment of the £60 plus interest has been made, John Watkins surrenders any claim, and admission to the holding is granted to Hugh Phillips and his heirs for the remaining lives on a rent of 2/- per annum and a heriot of 10/-
The Court was ‘Special‘ in that it was held before the Steward of the Manor in the absence of Court Jurors. A convenience much practiced in the 19th century.
Camera images of the Court Roll item J91/1 can be seen here. These are large PDF files which are zoomable but not searchable.