Held at:

Hereford Public Library


Local and Trade Directories


Original document


Kelly’s Directory of Shropshire and Herefordshire

Place name:





Trades and professions named in Craswall include:

Beer retailer: David Watkins

Blacksmith: Charles Davies

Innkeeper: Thomas Gane [Bulls Head Inn]

Miller: Abraham Davies [Cwm Mill]

Post Office Receiver: Mrs Emma Davies

Schoolmaster: ER Coates

Shopkeeper: Emma Davies

Property named includes:

Abbey farm [John Beavan]

Bettys tan House [Aaron Jenkins]

Black Hill [John Buchan]

Chapel house [George Morris]

Coom [George Watkins]

Court farm [Jane Gane]

Crasswall Court [John Winston]

Cwm [John Altree]

Cwm Mill [Abraham Davies]

Cwm Steps [Vear Smith]

Dukes farm [Robert Meredith]

Forest Mill [Moses Jenkins]

Gouldevain [James Howells]

Great Black Hill [George Watkins junior]

Llandraw [Arthur Watkins]

Lower Black Hill [Edwin Powell]

Middle Blackhill [William Gilbert Phillips]

New Forest [William Jones]

Old House [Henry Watkins]

Old Mill [William Watkins]

Perkins [John Titley]

Pentwyn [Thomas Beavan]

Rhwynford [William Hughes]

Rocky fold [John Mountford]

Shawls [John Williams]

The Barn [William Winston]

The Birches [William Lewis]

The Coed [William Watkins]

The Rock [Benjamin Watkins; Benjamin Williams]

The Rood [Samuel Jones]

The Town [Edward Mountford]

Trylandon [Isaac Price]

Upper house [James Griffiths; Samuel Jones]

Wern Wen [Charles Crump; William Watkins]

White Haywood [David Gilbert]

White Oak [Joseph Beavan]

An image of the full 1885 Kelly’s Directory entry for Craswall is given below.


Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. There is a Board school and two Primitive Methodist chapels. Principal landowners are Miss Elizabeth Rawson of Nidd Hall, Leeds and Philip Williams Esq. There is a cockpit on the north side of the church where ‘in the early part of this century cockfights were held on Sundays after service’. The school was built in 1876 for 90 children; average attendance 60.

This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.

Top - Back

Ref: rs_cra_0074