Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Craswall include:
Beer retailer: David Watkins
Innkeeper: Hannah Gane [? Bulls Head Inn]
Schoolmaster: Fredk. Harold Drew
Shopkeeper: Emma Davies
Residents and Property named include:
William & Son
Little Black Hill
The Old Public
Moses & Morgan
Middle Black Hill
William & James
Edward & James
Alfred & James
Upper Black Hill
Great Black Hill
White Hay Wood
An image of the full 1917 Kelly’s Directory entry for Craswall is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. There is a public elementary school and two Primitive Methodist chapels. Principal landowners are the trustees of the late Henry Randolph Trafford [Lords of the Manor] and Mrs Williams. The church was restored in 1883, and there is a cockpit on the north side where ‘in the early part of this century cockfights were held on Sundays after service’. The school was built in 1876 for 90 children.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.