Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories H/914.244
Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Craswall include:
Beer retailer: David Watkins
Curate: Reverend Pendarves George Kekewich [since 1904]
Innkeeper: Thomas Gane [Bulls Head Inn]
Miller: Thomas Davies [Cwm Mill]
Schoolmaster: Roderick Armstrong
Shopkeeper: Emma Davies
Property named includes:
Lower Black Hill
Great Black Hill
An image of the full 1905 Kelly’s Directory entry for Craswall is given below.
Local farmers are named. The area, population, rateable value, main crops, geology, county court and other details of the Parish are given. There is a public elementary school and two Primitive Methodist chapels. Principal landowners are Henry Randolph Trafford [Lord of the Manor] and Philip Williams Esq. of Hinstock Hall, Salop. The church was restored in 1883, and there is a cockpit on the north side where ‘in the early part of this century cockfights were held on Sundays after service’. The school was built in 1876 for 90 children; average attendance 31.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.