Hereford Public Library
Local and Trade Directories
Post Office Directory of Herefordshire
Trades and professions named in Clodock include:
Blacksmith: John Thomas
Butcher: William Lewis
Innkeeper: William Gwillim [New Inn], William Lewis [Cornwall Arms], Samuel Povey [Crown Inn]
Mason: William Pritchard
Registrar: Philip Gwillim
Mentions property called:
Castle Vach [Ann Prosser]
Cwm coched [Ann Davis]
Cwm coched [James Gane]
Cwm Dulas [Philip Gwillim]
Cwm Dulas [William Gwillim]
Great Cwm coched [John Pritchard]
Gridall [John Hoddell]
Lower House farm [Samuel Johnson]
Pen rhwl [John Thomas]
Pont Hendre [John Williams]
Ruthlin Farm [John Berrow]
An image of the full 1856 Post Office Directory entry for Clodock is given below.
Local farmers are named. The architecture of the church is described and the area, population, main crops, geology, charity, county court and other details of the Parish are given. There is reference to a Roman Camp [Blestium], and to a new school built in 1869.
This directory is not comprehensive in its coverage of all farms and commercial premises in the parish at the time. Also, in the transcribed lists of properties that are named, spellings in the original have sometimes been amended to reflect more common usage. In case of doubt please refer to the image of the original entry.