Original Document [photocopy]
Indenture of Mortgage: Clodock Mill
Mortgage of Clodock Mill and lands in the township of Longtown in the parish of Clodock, County of Hereford to secure £700 and interest, dated 19th December 1860, made between John Pritchard of the Hunt House Farm in the parish of Clodock, yeoman, John Gilbert Harris of Longtown, Gentleman, Ann Harris of the parish of Clodock, widow, and Henry Lilwall of Ewyas Harold, Gentleman. The indenture refers to an indenture of 9th August 1851 between Thomas Griffiths, Walter Harris and James Gilbert Price, and to an indenture of 11th August 1851 between Walter Harris and William Pritchard of Longtown, yeoman relating to £600 lent by William Pritchard as mortgage at interest of four pounds ten shillings per centum per annum, and to an indenture of 15th April 1856 between Walter Harris and William Pritchard for a further sum of £160 plus interest.
William Pritchard in his will dated 25th August 1860 bequeathed the £760 secured on a mortgage of premises called Clodock Mill and Boulton’s Lands to be divided 1/8th each between his brother John Pritchard of Building Cottage, Clodock; John Pritchard his son; Mary Rumsey wife of [blank] Rumsey of Llangattock near Crickhowell and daughter of his brother John; Mary Puddle wife of John Puddle and daughter of his brother John; Elizabeth Whistance wife of Edward Whistance of Building Cottage and daughter of brother John; Jane Seaborne wife of George Seaborne of Burnt House, Clodock and daughter of brother John; James Pritchard son of his brother James Pritchard deceased of Llangattock Crickhowell; Elizabeth Williams wife of Thomas Williams of Hill House, Clodock, daughter of brother James deceased. His nephew John Pritchard son of James, and John Gilbert Harris of Longtown were appointed executors and instructed to realise the mortgage. William Pritchard died on 23rd May 1860 and his will was proved in the Principal Registry of the Court of Probate on 19th July 1860.
Walter Harris by his will left the property to his wife Ann Harris, who was also appointed joint executor with his brother Lewis Harris. Walter Harris died on 8th May1860 and his will was proved in the District Registry of Hereford on 12th August 1860. To discharge the previous mortgage with William Pritchard, Ann Harris paid John Pritchard the younger and John Gilbert Harris £60 and a further £700 borrowed from Henry Lilwall and secured on the property
The property is described as all that messuage or tenement together with the stable and water corn mill called Clodock Mill and one parcel of meadow ground adjoining and two parcels of Orchard adjoining and one parcel of arable land adjoining and the garden adjoining all containing four acres two roods and thirty perches. Also three closes of meadow and pasture land known by the name of Bulton’s Land (formerly consisting of three closes of Meadow and pasture land and one close of arable land) of which two closes are on the east side of the Road from Longtown to Walterstone abutting to lands late of William Lewis, deceased, and now or late of John Lewis and to lands now or late of John Lucy Scudamore Esquire formerly in the possession of David Watkins and now of Samuel Griffiths as tenant, and the other close of meadow ground called Gworlod Dis Law yr heol is situate on the west side of the same road mereing and abutting thereto to lands late of Sarah Davies widow and now of Jane Edwards and to lands formerly of David Prosser deceased afterwards of his widow late of Edwin Prosser and now of James Price and all which said closes are in the township of Longtown in the parish of Clodock and were for many years in the occupation of Thomas Gains deceased as tenant to James George and were afterward in the tenure of Mary Gains widow as tenant to Richard Ricketts and Henry Ricketts subsequently of the said John Rogers deceased afterwards of John Lewis late of Thomas Griffiths and now of John Lewis as tenant to Walter Harris.
Receipts signed by John Pritchard and John Gilbert Harris for £60 from Ann Harris and £700 from Henry Lilwall are attached.